Thursday, May 14, 2009

The Illiterate Midlands Peasant Returns


The IMP returns! Again! After my second diaspora away from the interwebs I have come back (again) to comment on the best show on television at 9pm Saturdays (at least that's when it comes on where I live--hooray for DVR technology).


Zedd and Shota

After a few lackluster episodes (in my un-humble opinion) I have enjoyed the reunion of Zedd to team up with the unfulfilled lovers--his dodgy personal traits and creepy wisdom are what push the show from "ok" to "I think we should start a blog about this show" level of entertainment.


Turning to the most recent episode (Sanctuary), there was a lot to like. Magical paintings, Kahlan and Richard staring at each other for uncomfortable lengths of time, a creepy painter-stalker detached from reality, and Darken Rahl trying to burn Richard alive...in a painting. However, as usual, there were plenty of WTF!? moments.


First, WTF?! was up with the use of the transporter special effect whenever anyone went into the painting? Was it an homage to Star Trek's release this past week? I guess I understand using a similar visual (there's only so many ways to demonstrate transporting someone), but I swear they used the same sound effect. I kept waiting for Richard to beg Scottie to beam him up out of the painting.


Second, WTF?! was up with Richard's fight against the elite D'Haran soldiers inside the painting? I understand when 4 soliders get beat up by the Seeker with the Sword of Truth, which gives the wielder the strength of a hundred men. But when Richard went into the painting he was not the Seeker, he was just a dude named Richard with a sword. I understand that Richard has been dealing out death with his sword practically non-stop for the entire season. I assume he knows how to use a sword. But he was fighting the special forces of the D'Haran army and all they managed to do was knick his arm. And there were 4 of them and one of him. WTF?! Also, wouldn't Richard's entire fighting style be premised on being vastly stronger than everyone else since he is the Seeker? Wouldn't that put him at a distinct disadvantage when fighting inside the magical painting where he has no power?


Richard in the paint world

Speaking of the magical painting, WTF?!! Seriously, there is this uber-powerful magic that any artist can learn how to use? How about this plan, the painter paints Darken Rahl, trapping him in the painting, and then burns it. Boom, problem solved. Everyone is happy in the Midlands. If that stalker James learned the magic I think Zedd could figure it out.


Last, WTF?! was up with the librarian's kid? She's gone for a couple days at work and he decides to go begging on the street to make money? They never really have a conversation about that aftr she finds him. I get that there are bigger fish to fry (like being captured by soldiers and trapped in a painting), but kids generally don't turn into Oliver Twist when their mom stays late at the library. WTF?! Also, how big is this town that no one knows the kid is not the librarian's son? It's a famous library in what looked like a small town. I am guessing the head librarian's son is pretty well known and couldn't just go begging people for money in the middle of the town without someone being like "Hey Aiden, go home to your mom. I'm not giving you any money you little prick. O, and by the way, your dad sucked, I'm glad he's dead." Ok, maybe not that last part.


Like the blog? Sign up to receive our Feed through Feedburner.

No comments:

Post a Comment